The apothecary of Dr. Cornelius Stork is an historical fiction based upon the pharmacology of the 18th and century centuries. The fictional address, 58 Black Friars Lane, London is the actual address of ‘the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries’ which was founded in 1617. Its roots, however, go back much earlier to the Guild of Pepperers founded in London in 1180. The advertising of patent medicines began at the same time as the creation of the public sphere, in which newspapers first became available and read in the new phenomena of coffee houses. In fact the early marketing of early medicines through their ‘letters patent’ (royal approval) fueled the circulation of early papers. Many advertising and sales techniques were pioneered by patent medicine promoters. To keep patent medicines in the early public sphere, they began to use distinctive bottle shapes, and also claim in their advertising that no disease was beyond the cure of their medical formulae. This ofgraveconcern original artwork is influenced by the medical advertising of the early 18th century.
Public Notice for Dr. Cornelius Stork’s Apothecary.
Recreation of titlepages with added historical elements. Printed on watercolour paper with archival inks, and packaged in protective sheet. 5"x7"
Small prints on antique style paper, mounted to actual antique salvaged wood, and hung with twine. 3.5" x 4.5"